Monday, November 10, 2008

A way over a wall


I told Kaun I seem to have hit a wall. And as I was thinking of it, I recalled the wall U2 hit at the end of the Rattle and Hum tour. They said then that they would go and 'dream it up all over again', and that led to the masterpiece that was Achtung Baby.

Sometimes the best therapy is to go to a new place for a while, or to go to an old place in a new way. So after the Limnology paper on Saturday, I decided to go to KL Sentral. Two buses passed the Genetics & Microbiology building, saturated with passengers; I decided to walk.

Accompanied at various points by The Calling's 'Wherever You Will Go', the Pussycat Dolls' 'Buttons', Lou Bega's 'Mambo No. 5', Britney Spears's 'From the Bottom of My Broken Heart' and this hip-hoppish song that samples Pachelbel's Kanon, I discovered it takes about an hour to walk from UM to KL Sentral.

Along the way, I took quick snapshots of various things. Some of these are represented, unedited except for square cropping, in the Achtung Baby-like montage above. They were shot on Ai Wei's new BenQ C750 camera, while she took my D50 to Central Market and Dataran Merdeka.

I very much enjoyed the feeling of a compact camera on my belt, ready to shoot at a moment's notice.


After lunch/tea at The Coffee Bean and picking up tickets for the upcoming trip, I returned home by train.

It was a good journey, just perhaps not worth some parts of the cost.


Like Kaun and Yen.

* * * * *

(Photographer's note: The BenQ C750 is probably the best camera on an RM500-or-lower budget. If you can spare up to RM1000, go for Canon's Powershot A590 or the new SX110 IS. If you can spare up to RM2000, forget all compact cameras and get an SLR.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like that collage u made! The trip can't be summarize any better. Well done! :)