Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Rock: It Matters if You're Black and White


I am convinced that rock music, more than any other art form, is best expressed visually in black-and-white, or sepia-tinted, photographs.

I would go further and assert that these ought to be film photographs, and medium format at that (though I use 35mm), but these points are, I suppose, a little more debatable. For me, at least, I find the N80 so much more responsive than the D50 when it comes to autofocus in low light, and there's less camera shake when used with long lenses, too. I believe the newer cameras have superior autofocus, but I don't intend to spend that kind of money on a new digital SLR when most of my work is done on film.

Anyway, for my rock guitarist brother's 21st birthday, I prepared a portfolio of images I had taken, primarily during the later parts of 2010 and 2011, of him 'in action'. These are some of them.


* * *




Studio. 6 Strings, Taman Connaught.




Stage. The Library, e@Curve.



Stage. Opera, Sunway Pyramid.


* * *


The following were taken after the portfolio was completed, at UCSI's Contemporary Music Festival, 27 Nov 2011.


Bass and guitar.



The band performing Dream Theater's 'Endless Sacrifice'.

No comments: