Thursday, December 22, 2005

Of care and nerd-hood

Something I saw in The Star yesterday (it was actually from Monday's paper) reminded me of my community work experience at d'NA this year.

The full article on Datuk Dr T.P. Devaraj is here.

Some excerpts:

"Sometimes all you have to do as a doctor or a nurse is just to sit and listen to your patients and see how best you could help them cope with their illness..."

[Dr Devaraj] has been involved in community work since he graduated from the University of Singapore in 1952.

After completing his housemanship in Singapore, he returned to Malaya in 1954 and served at the Penang Hospital until his retirement in 1979.

He was among the founder members of the Malaysian Medical Association (MAA), was its president in 1983 and had served many years in MAA’s ethical committee.



At camp, Michael said several times, "We are all nerds, right?" After awhile, it occurred to me that this 'label' was not at all derogatory at d'NA, though it might be a painful stigma for some in school/society.

And this afternoon, a possible reason dawned upon me: God indeed uses the foolish things of this world to shame the wise. So who knows what he might do with a bunch of ambitious nerdy teenage monkeys?

4 comments:

silentsoliloquy said...

"nerdy teenage monkeys".. classic description of d'NAers!

michelle said...

lol..yea I suppose if God could use a donkey...we might be of some good use somewhere :P

Anonymous said...

I realise that this might be a typing mistake for you are only human...but you typed in the 4th paragraph:

"...of the Malaysian Medical Association (MAA)..."

You meant MMA right? Of course.

Yes. And the reason I'm pointing this out is just plain stupidity. Do forgive my folly.

SimianD said...

Ah, now that you mention it...

I actually copied that portion verbatim from The Star's website.

So it's their mistake, but how remiss of me not to check through!