Monday, May 21, 2007

In and out of focus

I'm back from Penang.


Choices.

* * * * *


Ice-creamers.

Three-quarters.

Three days late (Blogger took forever).

Echo: time to give birth?

* * * * *

LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart

and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,

who despises a vile man
but honors those who fear the LORD,
who keeps his oath
even when it hurts,

who lends his money without usury
and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things
will never be shaken.

--Psalm 15 (NIV)


I like this psalm, but I have a problem with the fourth verse. David speaks of despising 'a vile man', and I cannot help wondering if this is what the Pharisee in Jesus' story was thinking when he thanked God for not making him like the 'sinning' tax collector (Luke 18:10-12). Besides, Jesus was known to be a good friend of sinners and the scum of society.

There is also another problem: we are all sinners, which means we are at some (if not most) points of our life the 'vile man' spoken of in the psalm. Ought we then to despise ourselves?

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back, no turning back.


* * * * *

Immediate cure for jellyfish stings (on radio last Tuesday; Mix.fm I think):

First, apply vinegar.

Then, apply a solution of one part ammonia to four parts water.

Finally, apply aloe vera gel.


I wonder if it works.

* * * * *

While in Penang, I experienced the 'Shern Ren experience' for the first time in my life. Following that, this reflection came to me:

It would seem the pictures children are fed of smokers no longer scare them when they are adults. Death is a fact of life. Living for the moment seems so good that purity just isn't worth it.


On the way back from Penang, we passed the Penang Adventist Hospital. Its motto was:

GOD HEALS, WE HELP.

I'll be darned if that's not true.


What's so great about this picture?

Coming soon: the Penang trip.

* * * * *

Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.

--Psalm 17:8 (NIV)


Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey if u get into nus let me know. i applied too.

jessica