Thursday, July 12, 2007

Some things you can take along with you

Officially Day 4 at the University of Malaya.

I've written two entries on my experience so far on my Form Six classmates' blog. The first is on the Orientation Week here. And a little on my other experiences so far here.

* * * * *

It has been great meeting some old faces, especially these two seniors:


Kenneth was President of the VI Christian Union in 2002. He's a third-year Genetics student. Met him about 3.30 p.m. on 9 July.

In the SMS he sent at 3.23 p.m., he said;

"Hey bro..It is going to rain sooon..Do remember to bring an umbrella along..I'm still here in the Science Faculty Canteen..See u soon!"

It didn't rain in the end, but I will always remember the day it rained back in 2000. That afternoon we prayed together in the classroom I would occupy some four years later in Form 5.


Had supper with Yen and her friend Sze Sze on Monday night after the Mentor-Mentee programme at college. What with a Yen Yen and a Sze Sze, why not change my name to Ben Ben?

Bandung panas tarik is actually better than bandung panas!

The photo above was taken at Sahur's Cafe in my college. Yen came over for dinner yesterday.

Apparently it is more incriminating for a guy to wipe a grain of rice off a girl's mouth than vice versa.

* * * * *

This morning two songs kept playing again and again in my head: Muse's 'Starlight' and U2's 'Walk On'.

For 'Starlight', it was the theme piano line and the part that goes "I just wanted to hold you in my arms" again and again and again.

For 'Walk On', it was the outro stanza;

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
All that you scheme...


(I think I really like anthemic rock.)

As I reflect on the lot of us building new lives, I am again and again encouraged by the thought that not everything has to be left behind. (My hair is standing and I'm getting goosebumps even as I write this!)

And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage that you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind


'Walk On' was written for Aung San Suu Kyi, but I think it also best sums up U2's return to rock centrestage some seven years ago.

Who is to say that, three years from now, everything would have changed?

No comments: