Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mosquito Macro

Prior to Wednesday's meet-up with SooT, I saw a mosquito in my bathroom. Hurriedly I put together my 'macro kit' and made several close-up pictures. The mosquito was resting on the edge of a hand towel.


11.07 a.m. (First shot fired at 11.00 a.m.)

This was the last--and best--in a series of shots.

I did not proceed to kill it as it wasn't one of those nasty black-and-white banded specimens. (If it was, I'd probably still have shot it anyway... and only after placating my bloodthirsty lust for 'that perfect picture' would I have smacked the life out of it.)


Now what was surprising is that it was still in the same position when I returned in the afternoon!


4.16 p.m. (First re-spotted at 4.00 p.m.)

It flew off when I wiped my hands on the towel and landed on the mirror. I couldn't resist the prospect of shooting a mosquito 'double' so took a relatively quick shower (but no quicker than Kee Aun's showers) in order to return with my gear before it took off.

I've always said that I'd really want to ask God why He created mosquitoes. The only answer I can think of is that they feed frogs, lizards and other reptiles and amphibians... and maybe bats.

In light of Wednesday's experience, I'll have to concede that they're rather fascinating close-up subjects too!

No comments: