Monday, January 25, 2010

Photographically Speaking

The last few months of 2009 saw some experiments in photography, the greatest of which was the massive ET Shoot. More on that coming soon.

What follows is a set of pictures which were very fun to make, and which, collectively, continue to remind me of why I still do it.


I didn't want to take Di Kor and her birthday cake in the same old way. So I had her put on the sunglasses so as to reflect the candle flame, and I think we managed an overall feel that shouts 48 and getting younger!


How does one shoot a husband and wife in a novel way? By employing a method used by the legendary photojournalist James Nachtwey in a photograph of monks: see the others through one's glasses.


Having tea with Fitrah at 11th College after the ET handover meeting (a very unforgettable meeting), I noticed the rain brought out the colours of the 'banner'. Overcast weather reduces contrast and allows for a wide image tonality.


Kevin's 19th at Genji, PJ Hilton. An alternative view of lunch.


The birthday boy, under the table.


Mintu, the 'bartender' at Sahur's Café, 3rd College.

This, and the next three photographs, were shot on Ilford's Delta 3200 film.


Ali, the mee goreng man.


The burger dude.


Saiful, who is known, among other things, for his incredible voice.

"Nasi goreng kampung, siap!"


The Kadazan family and the Chinese aunty. The surprise and the animated conversation. This is Malaysia!

On the train to Seremban, en route to Port Dickson for PKV's T.H.E. Camp 2009.

More colour pictures here.


Me and Audrey at the Lutheran Centre, Port Dickson. Photo by Khai Li.

More black-and-white portraits here.


Sunset over Port Dickson, final evening of camp.

Shot with Swee Kit's Lumix LX3.


Fun at camp: shadow deities. Photo by Adelene.


Fun at camp: shadow evolution. Photo by Adelene.


My summary of camp: Moses the Millipede.

Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory."

And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

Then the LORD said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."

-- Exodus 33:18-23 (NIV)


A population of millipedes lives in the mossy carpet growing on one wall at the Lutheran Centre, a symbol of an 'oasis' in a 'desert'. The moss provides moisture, shelter and organic matter for food. This reminded me of the Israelites' experience in the desert.

Shot with Hyma's camera.


* * *

And the revolution of revolutions...


Kaun with Adila and Firdaus.


I now shoot with a handphone camera!

2 comments:

Jia said...

haha.. now you are shooting with hp camera pulak! ;)

i really missed the life in 3rd college..

SimianD said...

It just occurred to me (Feb 13 at point of writing), that the shadow pictures could not have been taken by Adelene, cos she's in them!

Aih, can't remember who the photographer was.