Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thoughts around Easter

There is a poignant scene in the movie Invictus, in which Matt Damon's character, Springboks captain François Pienaar, stares meditatively out a hotel window the night before the 1995 Rugby World Cup final.

His girlfriend walks up to him and asks if he's thinking about the match.

He replies, "Oh, tomorrow's match is taken care of, one way or another. I was thinking about how you spend thirty years in a tiny cell, and come out ready to forgive the people who put you in."


Those who are awed, and rightfully so, by Nelson Mandela, should also consider Jesus Christ.

I was thinking of the Communion liturgy which reads, "Jesus Christ, on the night in which he was betrayed, took bread..."

And when I think about it, I cannot help noticing the incongruity of that word: betrayed. To be betrayed, I would think, implies being compromised, being backstabbed. But Jesus, being all-knowing, could not have been backstabbed, could he?

The very fact that he dipped the bread and gave it to Judas indicated who was truly in charge of the situation.

So Jesus Christ, on the night in which he was betrayed, took bread and gave it to his disciples. Jesus Christ waited for his enemies and accusers and traitors to come, that he might forgive them. He endured the cross that the gates of Hell might not prevail.


In the movie, Mandela says, "Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon."

Let us remember this as we approach Easter.


* * *


Early this year, in January, I saw this in front of the college bathroom:


It has been ages since I saw an earwig scuttling across the floor. We used to have many of them at home back when I was younger. Maybe it was because of the nice patch of grass we had in the garden; when we had most of the garden tiled, there were fewer insects at home.

I shall make sure my house has a generous garden next time.

As I think about all this, I ask myself; is it possible to start again, to try again, to see everything through the eyes of a child?


* * *


Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls,

Yet I will exult in the LORD,
I will (AT)rejoice in the God of my salvation.

--Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NASB)



Dear Hyma, get well soon!


* * *


George is in love...


With photography!

Well, maybe not quite in over his head yet, but he was tinkering with my D50 after the PKV production An Easter Thingy concluded on Thursday night, and fell in love immediately with the 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Supper at Devi's Corner in Bangsar mainly revolved around the camera. Photos that follow are by George unless noted otherwise.


Alan, with a characteristic look on his face.


Tea: make of it what you will.


Julian's hair on fire.

He and George staged the shot which arguably became the highlight of the night.


I like how the orange out-of-focus points of light in the background match Rachael's T-shirt.

And subtly, in the background--maybe it's just me--the equally out-of-focus pole looks like a cross.


Desktop wallpaper, by George.


I think I can never look at a zebra crossing and not think of Abbey Road.

This is my take on it, in the heart of Telawiville.


Emily Chow, soprano extraordinaire. George finally nailed it after a night of trying.

Emily, if you ever read this, let me tell you that you look good in photos. Don't be so shy!


* * *


The next day, George, Adrian, Chian Ming and I headed to Kampong Attap for their legendary nasi kandar. It was a great way to end an unforgettable week.

All following pictures by George.


Preparation of rice.


Waiting for rice.


Chian Ming.


Adrian and the leaves.


Artistically, George is still a Sharpies man more than anything else, but who knows?

;-)

No comments: