Monday, June 21, 2010

Promenade

The Unforgettable Fire is a disarming U2 album. Perhaps one of the most experimental and 'incomplete', but such beautiful sketches! Indeed, 'watercolour' is the best way to describe the album.


One of my favourite songs is 'Promenade', not at all a well-known U2 song, but they really sound like Coldplay here. I think it would've made a great quiet concert piece, and it sounds very much in the vein of great songs like 'Running to Stand Still'.

Proof that U2 are masters both of loud stadium rockers and quiet, contemplative epic pieces.


Oh, tell me, Cherry you dance with me
Turn me around tonight
Up through the spiral staircase to the higher ground.
Slide show, seaside town.
Coca-cola, football radio, radio, radio, radio, radio, radio.




(It is now 2.20 a.m. in Washington, D.C.)

No comments: