Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hymn

Bono said something that made me realise why I like U2 so much. He said that, although The Joshua Tree was not a distinctly Irish album (in fact, it was heavily influenced by American music), the melancholy that pervades it is uniquely Irish. And I guess that's it: U2's melancholy. Somehow I can identify with U2's depth of emotion, and it means a lot.

* * * * *

My favourite song on Jars of Clay's album Much Afraid is the last track, 'Hymn'. Indeed, their slow songs are their best; songs like 'Faith Enough', 'Frail', 'Worlds Apart', and 'Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder'.

Hymn
By Jars of Clay

Oh refuge of my hardened heart
Oh fast pursuing lover come
As angels dance 'round your throne
My life by captured fare you own

Not silhouette of trodden faith
Nor death shall not my steps be guide
I'll pirouette upon mine grave
For in your path I'll run and hide

Chorus:
Oh gaze of love so melt my pride
That I may in your house but kneel
And in my brokenness to cry
Spring worship unto thee

When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall thee forever reign

(Chorus)

Sweet jesus carry me away
From cold of night, and dust of day
In ragged hour or salt worn eye
Be my desire, my well sprung lye

(Chorus x2)

Spring worship unto thee
Spring worship unto thee


* * * * *

One of the things I look for in a girl is soundness of mind. But that is not to say I will only date members of Mensa!

She must be someone who can love God with all her heart, her soul, her mind and her strength.

Of all that is given unto us, will we return in proportion to God? Of him to whom much is given, much is also expected.

* * * * *

Yay! I managed to finish reading all of Thomas Hardy's poems today. That's over 80 poems in a day. I thought I'd require two days, but these last few days have been really productive, thank God!

Looking forward to Friday night and Saturday...

No comments: