Monday, August 07, 2006

Thoughts after the 'Wedding of the Year'


Congrats Yi-Jien and Siu Yin! (For the record, Yi-Jien is the first Hwa of his generation to get married.)

Touted as the Wedding of the Year, it proved that marriage truly brings all kinds of people together. I was pleasantly surprised to see such familiar faces as Sivin, Soo-Inn and Sherman (all subversive theologians!), and also a number of lecturers at Seminari Theoloji Malaysia who taught at d'NA, namely Allen McClymont (New Testament, Stage 1) and Aunty Gaik Kim aka. Edna Mode (Church History, Stage 3).

Being a Hwa wedding, the Hwas were there in full force. It would be too laborious to name them each; every Hwa was there!

At first, I wasn't invited. But then Yi-Jien was looking for a photographer and his brother, Zheng, asked if I was interested. I jumped at the opportunity to take wedding photos, something I'd never done before. Here's something I learnt: the pressure of expectations is greater when you're taking photos for someone who's also an avid photographer, but in some ways it is easier because he/she can and will give you advice.

The pictures here I shot with my Nikon D50, but most of the other pictures were taken with Yi-Jien's D70. Yes, I actually walked around with two cameras (two SLRs, mind you!) around my neck, looking pseudo-professional. ;-) Thankfully, he also hired a professional, Sean Lam, who took care of most of the work with his Canon EOS 350D (with additional flash unit). For the record, I outshot Sean. :-P

Being a wedding and all, I was reminded of the words of Revelation 22:17, an invitation at the end of the Bible:

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

All in all, perhaps the highlight of the event (and one of the pivotal reasons I said 'yes' to the assignment) was this:


Top row, L-R: Tien, me, David and Audrey. Bottom row, L-R: Soo Tian, Zheng, Jon, Hwei Ling, Alissa and Ning. d'NA group photos are always a challenge when it comes to labelling! Photo credit to Sivin, the Emergent leader whose subversive presence went unnoticed by most of the guests, heheheh...

Viva d'NA!

(Oh, and also for the record, and Yen's reading pleasure: Soo Tian and I had dinner at KL Sentral. Since we couldn't decide where to eat, we flipped a coin twice! The first time was to decide, McD's or non-McD's. The second was between Ayamas and Panettone. Ayamas won.)

7 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

Let me start by saying I'm pretty happy to see the results of the picture I took:-) and happier to see you all having fun!

On being a "subversive theologian" .. I just noticed that the way you named us all starts with "S" and this has nothing to do with "superman returns!". i use to think "subversive" is a bad word until I read Eugene Peterson and now even more challenged by a wonderful book "Colossians Remixed"

On being "the Emergent leader whose subversive presence went unnoticed by most of the guests". What leader? :-) being unnoticed is a nice feeling sometimes.

The wedding brought me back down memory lane it reminded me of my own wedding years ago. We even used the same caterer and the tents were the same colour!

It was a wonderful service to see so many people present to congratulate the couple and their families. My take away phrase was from the mouth of Bishop Hwa Yung when he said cheekily, "I'm sure this is not the first time you are kissing!" :-)Humor comes during the most holy of moments huh? That's what I call Godly play!

michelle said...

you monkeys! :p
soon it will be someone from our group ,yes?hope all's well in your part of the tanahair.

Foreign Stranger said...

Coin flipping? Lol. And I thought I was the only one...

silentsoliloquy said...

Yes, 'twas a great day indeed! Was so glad God was merciful enough that I had minimal work to do that weekend! And mm.. the method of deciding on dinner was no slouch either.. ;P

Anonymous said...

I was at the wedding too. Ps. Sivin, contrary to what you think, you didn't go unnoticed ;)

this girl said...

my reading PLEASURE?? :P

yuh...so nice you all get to meet and take pic there (monkeybars) again..*merajuk*

*

after this i'm off to convocation to wave and cheer and sab(otage) other college's supporters...

Anonymous said...

Uh, you forgot to add that we realised that having a wedding on STM grounds added to the Marriage Conspiracy. :P