Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Glass Walls

Glass walls are cruel; they allow you to see, but not feel. Only a glimpse of what might be.

* * * * *

I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope
For hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love,
For love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith
But the faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting.

--T.S. Eliot, from Stave III of 'East Coker'


I will always remember these words as the words that introduced me to T.S. Eliot. Philip Yancey quoted them in Disappointment with God, but I had no idea then that I would be so influenced by Eliot.

With these words, I began my Silver Medal-winning Impromptu speech at the ISKL SEA Forensics last year.

And these words come back to me today, to remind me to wait. To encourage me while I wait, for the loneliness and silence is too often unbearable.

* * * * *

Father, forgive our disobedience.

Remember us for choosing to obey. Let not our obedience be in vain.

Remember us in Your love, dear Father.

* * * * *

[And Job] said,

"...The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD."

--Job 1:21 (NASB)


Why can't the Lord take away our lives as well?

Why didn't He allow Job to die, even though Job spent so much of his discourse lamenting his very existence?

* * * * *

I first heard this song in 2000 when on the way to school with my cousin, Ronny. I always thought it was a little too heavy for Light & Easy, but it soon established itself as a radio classic on that station.

This morning, I heard it again, and suddenly it resonated with virtually everything that we are going through.


Amazed
By Lonestar

Everytime our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take

Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away

I've never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts, I can see your dreams

Chorus:
I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you, it just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life with you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

The smell of your skin
The taste of your kiss
The way you whisper in the dark

Your hair all around me
Baby you surround me
Touch every place in my heart

Ih it feels like the first time everytime
I wanna spend the whole night in your eyes

(Chorus)

Every little thing that you do
I'm so in love with you, it just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life with you by my side
Forever and ever

Every little thing that you do
Ohh, every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by... you



Now I know what the song means. And yes, it will always remind me of you. ;-)

* * * * *

God willing, United States shall live on.

It's been five years since New York city was virtually levelled, but it has since bounced back.

Here it may take five years, maybe more. A finger for each year...


Valerie says love is no trivial matter. She is right.

No comments: