Sunday, September 17, 2006

Parquet & Questions

I wrote this song while teaching Jean and Chean Hong yesterday. It's a first, as the idea wanted expression as a song instead of a poem. So a song it is; there's music, but these are just the lyrics.


Parquet

Polished surface lined in pain
Scars and tears run through your grain
Dark and dusty on the ground
You hide your heart where it can't be found

Whispers echo in the wood
Do you remember where we stood?...

Listen to the rustling leaves
Little solace for the soul that grieves
Wishing for a brighter tomorrow
Rivers of joy to drown the sorrow

Whispers echo in the wood
Do you remember where we stood?...

French kissing on parquet floor
Something says I've been here before
Voices that scream out in September
Seems like I've been dying forever

Love lies buried 'neath the memory
Of a life we lived reckless and carefree
Breaking away from the help and hurt
How I wish I'd understood

Whispers echo into the night
There's no more strength left in this fight

French kissing on parquet floor
Something says I've been here before
Voices that scream out in September
Seems like I've been dying forever

Love... try to run from it
Love... try to hide from it
It leaves you no thoughts to spare
Throw you into the middle... of nowhere

Whispers...
Whispers...

French kissing on parquet floor
There's no walking back out of that door
Drowning in this living dream
Where things are not all as they may seem

* * * * *

Today's Every Day with Jesus Scripture:

Psalm 4
(NIV)

Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?

Selah

Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
the LORD will hear when I call to him.

In your anger do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.

Selah

Offer right sacrifices
and trust in the LORD.

Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.


To search our hearts and be silent...

Can we learn to live with not knowing or being what we want to know or be? Can we learn to live with mystery? Can we be content with what God has given us?

* * * * *

"Child, I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."

--Aslan to Shasta in C.S. Lewis's The Horse and His Boy

"Stop asking God to bless what you're doing. Go find out what God's doing, and do it, for it is already blessed."

--the words that spurred Bono on to campaign against poverty.

"Ain't love the sweetest thing?"

--Bono/U2, 'The Sweetest Thing'

"If God has blessed us, it is so that we can share. What we have is not ours; it belongs to God."

--Pastor Vincent (this morning)

* * * * *


Is it alright to be weird?

I suppose I've always desired greatness... but now all I seem to want is a normal life.

Inevitably we become like those we love. But what if the one we love is nearly an opposite? Can such love endure?

Is God calling me to full-time ministry?

No comments: