Sunday, November 18, 2007

What for?

I was at someone's blog. Someone whose blog I read for the first time nearly a year ago.

Some people can really write and take professional-quality (as in, professional advertising quality) photographs with consumer-level equipment. Some people navigate art as easily as fish navigate water (yes yes, big cliché).

And it makes me wonder, why am I still here? Why am I seemingly deceiving myself into thinking I can write and take photographs?

Dunno lah. It's like this need to express. Without pen and paper, without camera and lens, I would burst with all the thoughts and emotions within.

If you are somewhat lacking in the talent to do something, yet find yourself having an irrepressable need to do that something, you must have issues. And I'd venture to say, BIG ones.

If you're like that, maybe we should talk someday over coffee or tea or whatever it is that calms your nerves.

If you're like that, maybe you're a little like me.

4 comments:

ling said...

And it makes me wonder, why am I still here? Why am I seemingly deceiving myself into thinking I can write and take photographs?

how can you say that when I'm the one who thinks that when I read your blog? :)

Suit Lin said...

If you are somewhat lacking in the talent to do something, yet find yourself having an irrepressable need to do that something, you must have issues. And I'd venture to say, BIG ones.

I often wonder the same, I love the performing arts, expecially theater and prose writing, I enjoy reading, creating, being and dwelling in them but I have no formal education on these subject, neither does my work out shines others.

I think as far as 'issues' are concern, I guess I always justify (to myself at the very least) it's the only way for me to express and to explore freely (as you have mentioned). It's the only place I am allowed to just be.

p/s: I don't think the right to do is solely given to the best, but also those who are on the journey of improving and being better.

oh and thank you so much for the pictures :):)

Unknown said...

If you are somewhat lacking in the talent to do something, yet find yourself having an irrepressable need to do that something, you must have issues. And I'd venture to say, BIG ones.

I always thought that only those without much talents like me are qualified to say that, not knowing that the talents you have don't really affect how you think about yourself sometimes.

I guess many of us are just not good in enough in front of the mirror.

I don't think the right to do is solely given to the best, but also those who are on the journey of improving and being better.

wideopensky said...

Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
Forever and forever when I move.
~Ulysses, by Tennyson.

Was reminded of this when I read your post. After years of wondering why I should bother at all, I figure that this restlessness belongs to anyone, from the beginner to the talented amateur to the professional. Ulysses, at the top of his game, had to continue seeking that horizon that he knew would forever elude him. Every achievement was just motivation for more. I feel like Ulysses at times--that sometimes the best we can do is just to have every hour "saved from that eternal silence."

And I do feel that when I read your blog. And almost everyone's blog. It's amazing how people express themselves when given the space. = )