Sunday, November 22, 2009

Track Talk

(Train interior by Chris Guillebeau)


"Sir, one question," said the clerk at my hotel in Baku, whom I'd recruited to write Baku-Tbilisi, one-way, second class for me in the local language of Azeri. "Why do you want to take the train? It's not very nice."

Why take the train? Good question. First, I knew it would be a highly authentic way to get around the Caucasus, and also a good counterpoint to the world of Star Alliance flights that brought me from Portland to Baku, via Denver and Frankfurt. Second, I like overland travel, so why not go all-out? Fifteen hours can't be that bad, and the unpredictability and raw element of train travel adds an edginess that I haven't had recently.


--Chris Guillebeau, on taking the train from Baku, Azerbaijan to Tbilisi, Georgia.


Read more here.


* * *


On another note, what comes to your mind when you see the phrase 'colon pee'?

:P

No comments: