Tuesday, December 28, 2004

It's Raining Outside

I'll be leaving for home today. It's been quite a holiday here in Singapore; my only regret is that I could not meet up with Jon save for a very short time at church on Sunday.

It's raining outside. The first morning shower since I came, I think (maybe even the first shower of all!). God has this peculiar way of knocking on my door in my seasons of sin. I don't know if it's surprise, anger, joy, humility or awe that best describes my feelings when I look at the falling rain; maybe a little of each.

Often in my struggles against trials and temptations, I rarely emerge victorious. And everytime I fall, God sends some sort of sign. This year, it's been rain, sometimes in showers, sometimes in storms.

Coincidence? Maybe. Superstition? Not at all. This is his world; what right have I to dictate the paths of the weather? Why he gives so many chances to us, to me, I do not know. Why does creation give a damn about the clod of unnoticeable dirt in the galaxy?

Humans fall short of describing or capturing the beauty of nature; Debussy tried with La Mer and failed. Vivaldi tried with The Four Seasons and failed. Poet after poet has had his hand at it, yet they too have failed. Even the illustrious Monet's paintings don't do justice to the least of nature.

Waves, stars, sunrises, sunsets, petal showers, morning showers...

Morning shower. The rain seems to have stopped. The earth dries up again.

See you in Malaysia.

1 comment:

Hwei Ling said...

Hey Ben. Doing well I hope? Finally have the opportunity to try to catch up on blog-reading here in Taiwan. And to catch up on blogging as well. :) Have a great new year yah? :)

I realized that I often focus so much more on the serenity and beauty of nature and forget about the overwhelming power involved too, until a tsunami comes along and shakes my secure world, even from a distance. =/ Oh well. People told me not to sink the island, but it got flooded after I left.

Hm. I just realized that my entire DTS is on various islands - Penang, Taiwan and the Philippines. Interesting.