Monday, December 20, 2004

Thoughts from Bono (excerpt from the Christianity Today website)

The following was adapted from the article "Bono's American Prayer", published in Christianity Today in early 2003.


He doesn't attend church regularly. He prays frequently. He likes to say grace before meals. He tries to have a "Sabbath hour" as often as he can. His favourite Bible is Eugene Peterson's paraphrase, The Message.

Bono quips:

"I just go where the life is, you know? Where I feel the Holy Spirit. If it's in the back of a Roman Catholic cathedral, in the quietness and the incense, which suggest the mystery of God, of God's presence, or in the bright lights of the revival tent, I just go where I find life. I don't see denomination. I generally think religion gets in the way of God."

"Everybody wants to make an impact with their life, whether it's small scale with friends or family--that's really big, is the truth--or whether it's on a grand scale, in changing their communities and beyond... [one pastor recently advised:] stop asking God to bless what you're doing. Find out what God's doing. It's already blessed. I want to align my life with that."

On the African AIDS and poverty emergency, he says:

"There should be a civil disobedience on this. You read about the apostles being persecuted because they were out there taking on the powers that be... And there's a war going on between good and evil. And millions of children and millions of lives are being lost to greed, to bureaucracy, and to a church that's been asleep. And it sends me out of my mind with anger."

No comments: