Friday, April 27, 2007

Like a Fly

Read Colossians 3 this morning.

I haven't been very holy have been downright unrighteous lately. So I thought, why not read the passage that is often referred to as the most concise guideline for holy living?

At first I wanted to read from verse 1 to 17, but somewhere around the second verse, I was stuck. I couldn't move on.


Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.

--Colossians 3:1-7 (NIV)



Set your hearts on things above...
My heart is here on earth.

Set your minds on things above...
My mind is here on earth.

Put to death... sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires...
I have just breathed life into these.

You used to walk in these ways...
I still do.

* * * * *

It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest.
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief;
All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief.


Words of a poet?

Guess who.

No comments: