Sunday, April 08, 2007

Two Thoughts on Easter

Wasn't a very holy Holy Week for me. But here are two thoughts from some of my betters.


The road less travelled is a lonely road. I'm still glad some are willing to tag along. Some are no where in sight. We are all preoccupied. There's so much which demands our attention. As humans, we can only focus on a limited and often only a handful of things. No messiah complex here. Though the temptation is real.

--Sivin


I find that Holy Week is draining; no matter how many times I have lived through his crucifixion, my anxiety about his resurrection is undiminished--I am terrified that, this year, it won't happen; that, that year, it didn't. Anyone can be sentimental about the Nativity; any fool can feel like a Christian at Christmas. But Easter is the main event; if you don't believe in the resurrection, you're not a believer.

--John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany (quoted in Philip Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew)


It is an interesting that Easter is juxtaposed with Ching Ming in the 'Spring' of every year.

Death is undiminished, but not undefeated.

Praise Him.

1 comment:

Sivin Kit said...

surprised to be quoted .. humbling.