Thursday, April 12, 2007

Some Thoughts on Photography and Literature


Photography can both build and break barriers. A photographer could hide behind his/her camera. Or he/she could let others handle the camera, allowing them to share their unique perspectives and let their creative sides loose or, in the case of an SLR, to have a shot at 'being a pro'.

One of the most important things I've learnt: sometimes you cannot just take what you see. What caught your eye in real life may not do the same in a picture. The idea is to convey the emotion and/or thought, even if it means altering the subject and/or composition.

I suppose in photography, as in literature, a lot is about observing and then sharing your perspective on the observation.

In terms of writing, I hardly produce anything 'new', but only things I've heard or experienced. Perhaps on paper they appear in different forms, that's all.

...You say I am repeating
Something I have said before. I shall say it again.

--T.S. Eliot, Stave III from 'East Coker'


And the innovation is not in seeing something new, but in seeing with new eyes something you've always known. To see something fresh in the familiar.

No comments: