Saturday, April 26, 2008

Another selah

Six papers down, two to go.


I have been offered a place in college for the coming year. Looks like God's work for me in college is not yet done!

Praise Him.


Early Thursday morning, I dreamt that Dad died suddenly. As I thought about it, I realised it was less about my biological father than my Father above.

How often I kill God in my life, denying Him by the way I live and the things I say.

* * * * *

On another note, I took this test, following the link on Kee Aun's blog.


You can also click:

http://www.41q.com/type.41q?p=24673236

David has always considered me an ISTP, but the test seems to suggest I'm an INFJ.

Let's evaluate this with a little help from Wikipedia.


Sensing and Intuition are the information-gathering (Perceiving) functions. They describe how new information is understood and interpreted.

Individuals who prefer Sensing are more likely to trust information that is in the present, tangible and concrete: that is, information that can be understood by the five senses. They tend to distrust hunches that seem to come out of nowhere. They prefer to look for detail and facts. For them, the meaning is in the data.

On the other hand, those who prefer Intuition tend to trust information that is more abstract or theoretical, that can be associated with other information (either remembered or discovered by seeking a wider context or pattern). They may be more interested in future possibilities. They tend to trust those flashes of insight that seem to bubble up from the unconscious mind. The meaning is in how the data relates to the pattern or theory.


Going by this, I think I can justifiably be considered an 'N' (iNtuition). I think it explains a lot of the conflicts that have happened over the year that was; how people keep telling me to keep my feet on the ground and all.


Thinking and Feeling are the decision-making (Judging) functions. The Thinking and Feeling functions are both used to make rational decisions, based on the data received from their information-gathering functions (Sensing or Intuition).

Those who prefer Feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.

Those who prefer Thinking tend to decide things from a more detached standpoint, measuring the decision by what seems reasonable, logical, causal, consistent and matching a given set of rules.


I think I am somewhere in between, so for this the test is not quite accurate. I am not an 'F' in the sense that I don't always care for the greatest harmony and balance; if I think there's a way to go, I can be quite insensitive to others' concerns in my pursuit of it.

Then again, neither am I a strict 'T' as I can be unreasonable at times and I dislike given sets of rules.

Perhaps I am a 'logical empathiser' or 'empathetic logician' or something.


Myers and Briggs taught that types with a preference for Judging show the world their preferred Judging function (Thinking or Feeling). So TJ types tend to appear to the world as logical, and FJ types as empathetic. According to Myers, Judging types prefer to "have matters settled." Those types ending in P show the world their preferred Perceiving function (Sensation or Intuition). So SP types tend to appear to the world as concrete and NP types as abstract. According to Myers, Perceiving types prefer to "keep decisions open."

This one, I'll leave to those who know me to decide. The explanation that followed on Wikipedia was rather complex and a little too analytical for me.

But David is probably right that I am indeed a 'P'. I've never thought of myself as a 'J' anyway.


So what am I at the end of the day? Most likely IN?P.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You? A LIBRARIAN?!?! omegosh...haha =) You'd scare the living daylights out of those who frequent the library! And everyone would be deprived of knowledge and die a horrible death because they couldn't stand being stupid. Of course, the setting i'm referring to is that of the olden victorian times. Now, we have the internet. Who needs libraries? *sarcasm*

-goldfish

enilit said...

Hey Ben, stumbled upon this quote while reading Peterson, and thought of our conversation that day. :)

Experienced mountaineers have a quiet, regular, short step--on the level it looks petty; but then this step they keep up, on and on as they ascend, whilst the inexperienced townsman hurries along, and soon has to stop, dead beat with the climb. . . . Such an expert mountaineer, when the thick mists come, halts and camps out under some slight cover brought with him, quietly smoking his pipe, and moving on only when the mist has cleared away. . . . You want to grow in virtue, to serve God, to love Christ? Well, you will grow in and attain to these tings if you will make them a slow and sure, an utterly real, a mountain stepplod and ascent, willing to have to camp for weeks or months in spiritual desolation, darkness and emptiness at different stages in your march and growth. All demand for constant light; for ever the best--the best to your own feeling, all attempt at eliminating or minimizing the cross and trial, is so much soft folly and puerile trifling.
--Baron Friedrich von Hügel, Selected Letters 1896-1924, quoted in Eugene Peterson, Run with the Horses

Anonymous said...

The applying plan masters a variety of celebrated legalised distributors, just as Jonathan Frutkin, who has likely to acquire potential customers at the step-by-step daily physical exercise into the greater guidelines out of consumer pikalaina law: inside key occupation job interview; to help doing this petition along with verifying your site 14 System; moreover, the 341 listening to.

http://www.assaulter.net/user/profile/beatrisibw/
http://kaboble.com/index.php?do=/blog/20831/pikalaina-absolutely-no-credit-score-assessment-protected-loan-program/