Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Hatty Birthday! (and other observations)...



Went for dinner with Soo Tian, Tee Ming and Yen Yen on Friday night at Subang Parade. Took the long way from the Komuter station, met up in MPH, dined at Dave's Deli, and capped it all with dessert at Baskin Robbins. Both Tian and Ming were born on 5 May 1987.

The montage above features the four of us wearing Soo Tian's new 'hat' in different styles. Taken at Baskin Robbins.

One thing we learned: never hire Soo Tian to promote your book, especially if it's the Gospel of Judas. He'll say, "This is the Gospel of Judas, retailing at 83 ringgit here in MPH... but you can get it for free off the net!"


One of the songs sung during worship at church this morning had a line that went, "I will sing." It reminded me of Don Moen's 'I Will Sing.' One of my favourite Moen songs, it was inspired by Habakkuk 3:17-18;

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior."


Pastor Vincent spoke on The Da Vinci Code, the Bible, and combatting heresies. Interestingly, the high point came after his sermon: he prayed that we would be like the Bereans who searched, and checked what they heard against, the Scriptures (Acts 17:11).

And it struck me that God was already preparing us for the year ahead with the KL/PJ SCF Leaders' Convention themed The Berean Call. I'm inclined to think that Nigel will agree that this is indeed God's master stroke in reaction to a world permeated with lies, deceit and illusions; to raise a generation of people who are rooted in His Word, who will stand for His truth.

In the wake of much confusion, intellectual chaos and spiritual anarchy, will the apprentices of the Christ take up the Berean call? Only they can answer.


This morning, I awoke at four-something. Somehow my body didn't seem tired (though I did sleep on the way to church), and I got through a bit of writing for a friend. As I was thinking of a suitable poem to incorporate, Stave IV of Eliot's 'Little Gidding' came to mind. I eventually chose Stave I of 'Burnt Norton,' but the former seemed to require some mention on the blog nonetheless.

If I'm not mistaken, I've quoted the excerpt here before, but perhaps not in this context. Recent events have led me to identify with the apostle Peter, and when I read the poem this morning, the two 'fires' reminded me of Peter's two fires: first, the fire of denial where he warmed himself; then, the fire of redemption which Jesus prepared on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.

The dove descending breaks the air
With flame of incandescent terror
Of which the tongues declare
The one discharge from sin and error.
The only hope, or else despair
Lies in the choice of pyre of pyre—
To be redeemed from fire by fire.

Who then devised the torment? Love.
Love is the unfamiliar Name
Behind the hands that wove
The intolerable shirt of flame
Which human power cannot remove.
We only live, only suspire
Consumed by either fire or fire.



Michael Schumacher won the European Grand Prix. Woohooo!

1 comment:

this girl said...

you just HAD to use the bonnet one for Soot, eh?