Monday, July 10, 2006

In July

It's approaching mid-July, and my birthday is precisely three weeks away. But I don't feel any older.

I did, however, do something unusual a few days ago: I read my July 2005 blog entries. Initially, I wanted to confirm the date of a significant event that happened some two-thirds into the month, but ended up browsing through the other entries as well. Some of them shock me, looking back. It was a month of intense wrestling and learning.

If you have the time, I would encourage you to read them, if only to share in the experience I am now attempting to describe. Just click on 'July 2005' in the sidebar on the right, and begin from the entry at the bottom of the page. Compare those entries with this one.

A few minutes ago, I was going through the photos I took during that period. So much happened within those thirty-one days; so much that played pivotal roles to bring me where I am now. And now, some recent happenings are reminding me of that July.


I have listed 13 points of comparison between this July and last, as follows.

In early July last year, I finished reading C.S. Lewis's masterpiece, The Four Loves. It remains a very strong influence on me, and one of his finest works.

The VEB orientation marked my entry into the board. This year, the orientation proceeded without me; for the first time since entering Form Six, I am an outsider looking in. It is a refreshing perspective.

Last year, I began skipping classes (mainly for VEB work) and using more foul language in July. It appears I'll be absent from certain classes this year as well, but for academic reasons. Foul language seems to be returning.

I wrote a tribute to my seniors in the Christian Union for lighting my path last year, and the CU seemed to be thriving. But this year, things seem to be heading in the opposite direction. Still seeking God's will and guidance; I hold on to the promise that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

A year ago, I went to far as to say 'Christianus nicht mehr', which in German means 'Christian no more'. I very nearly gave up on the faith, and grew somewhat disillusioned with the Pentecostal church. This year the fire has been rekindled, and I find that God is teaching me a LOT within the Pentecostal context.

Last year, I played a prank on Amy. It was such a stupid thing to do, but I actually pretended I lost her father's expensive Lumix camera. It was the first of many lessons on relationships and learning to say sorry, as Soo-Inn pointed out to me. This year, Amy's camera is playing a very important role in photography for the board.

Choir state finals fell within photography week last year. Amy and I were absent from the morning session; Amy to sing, and I to take photographs. Interestingly, the VEB photography and Science & Mathematics weeks also coincide this time around, but choir finals will only be on next Tuesday.

Last July, I had my first thoughts of quitting the board. I worried about my studies, and indeed I underperformed in the July mid-term test. Parents laid various restrictions on computer usage, and I was nearly grounded for the next few months. But by God's grace I picked myself up to a third place finish in class at the end of the year, and I've never looked back since.

Attended the d'NA farewell reunion in Putrajaya mid-July last year. This weekend, Shern Ren and Tee Ming are hosting the d'NA reunion reunion (yes, you read that correctly) in SS2, Petaling Jaya. Hopefully we won't incur the wrath and bewilderment of any restaurant this time around!

I wrote an entry last year on Mr Kali's crazy Chemistry classes. A year down the road, and they're still as mad. His sense of humour has been injected with more and more wit over the months, and he knows the class so well that he could easily qualify for the MI6 Intelligence department.

A year ago, Vincent and I attempted to 'fly' during school hours. We were nearly over the wall of the school's Main Entrance (although it is less frequently used than the Side Entrance), when Mr Othman, the PK HEM, caught us. I was stuck at home this morning with a stomach ache, and unfortunately arrived in school late, when Mr Gana and Mr Shamsul (discipline teachers) were scouring the Form Six block for students attempting to 'fly' assembly. I received my fifth caning, the third from Mr Shamsul; my other two came from Mr Nik Dzulkefli (Form 1, for playing in class) and Mr Zainuddin Samad (Form 3, for delaying my PMR History project).

My relationship with Li-Shia began, so to speak, when I gave her two Cadbury chocolate bars in an effort to cheer her up. Prior to that, we only made significant contact when she borrowed my Big Fish book, which, as she recalls, was thirsty. (For those of you wondering what this means, it's a lame excuse for spilling water on the pages.)

Finally, my 'parasocial' relationship with Batman also began sometime last July. I took a lot of inspiration from the character (Li-Shia would say, a little too much!) and over the past 12 months, built quite a lot of my philosophy around him. This also explains the numerous references to Batman on this blog.


Lessons aside, it was also in July that I snapped one of the most significant photos of last year. There were many great photos, such as the 'Prayer of the Dandelions' (which features a silhouette of Li-Shia), but this one in particular speaks to me as a seven-year student in the VI.

The almost surreal 'still, and still moving' feel reflects some of T.S. Eliot's deepest thoughts on time. It is also a masterpiece of thematic photography, for it tells virtually the whole story of the VEB photography week, while also capturing its atmosphere.



On 17 September last year, I took the following picture. Today, as I looked at it, two things stood out. The first is this: I'd like to think the scene below depicts heaven's door, where a blinding light peeks in from the other side, and an angel waits to greet the newcomer, and Christ is the centre of it all (notice Li-Shia's cross in the centre of the photo).


The second became apparent as I looked more closely at the V-shape in Li-Shia's hair parting and shirt collar. They seemed like landmarks and/or focus points for the following shape:



Photography is fun, and this July, I have an SLR to take my hobby to a higher level!

No comments: