Saturday, December 06, 2008

A place none of us has been

You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been
A place that has to be believed to be seen.

--from 'Walk On' by U2


* * * * *

On 23 November, Ai Wei moved to a temporary room for her December stay in college while working on her thesis.


Packing up to leave the old room.


Balconies of 12th College, University of Malaya.


Wendy, the new roommate. 3rd year, Biotechnology. Also staying back for thesis.


The Mattress Monster. 2nd year, Ecology. Roped in to do all the hard labour.


Wendy's roommate's trolley. A room shifter's best friend.


We had dinner at Delifrance, 1 Utama. Amazingly the Ramadhan set was still on the menu.


Kak Lili, who served us. Best waitress I've met in a long, long time!

* * * * *

Maybe there is something symbolic in all of this. First the shifting of the house, and then the shifting of the room. And how I've been involved in both.

Donne said, "Every man's death diminishes me," and I think it is in some ways valid to say that we inevitably join our friends on their journeys, exult in their victories and stagger under their trials and burdens, whether or not by choice.

I think in the past few weeks I've been packing suitcases for places I have never been, where the only assurance is that God has gone ahead and is waiting for me, and that no matter what may lie ahead, there are friends to walk alongside.

No comments: