Thursday, December 11, 2008

Seeing Blind

"I can pretend I don't see you later."

Looking back, I could not pretend. I don't know if you could.

* * * * *

These photos were taken during the PKV Chinese Ministry's Prayer Night, 8 October. They were all shot 'blind', i.e. I did not look into the viewfinder when composing the pictures. Of the 27 shots I made in total, I kept 21, all of which are reproduced here.

Perhaps we who ride on this 'rogue planet' (as Frederick Buechner once called Earth) can pretend we don't see each other. But we can only go so far pretending we don't see God or that God doesn't see us.

And maybe prayer is when we stop pretending. Or maybe when we stop pretending, prayer happens.






















Confused enough to know direction
The sun eclipsed enough to shine
Be still enough to finally tremble
And see enough to know I'm blind


--from 'Faith Enough' by Jars of Clay

No comments: