Thursday, July 14, 2005

Curtains


stage
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
It was a sad day for the choir. After being defending state champions for four years (since 2001), they lost this year, unplaced amongst the 5 finalist schools which competed this morning.

Jon (Mah) pointed out that, despite the defeat, it was an honour for them to perform at the Laman Budaya on High Street -- the very spot where the old V.I. building used to be.

The top photo is of the choir, just before they began; the bottom, of the Editorial Board members (and friends) who stood around to console Amy, when we were back in school.


Somehow, when I looked at the choir photo just now, a few lines from T.S. Eliot's East Coker came to mind:

I said to my soul, be still, and let the dark come upon you
Which shall be the darkness of God. As, in a theatre,
The lights are extinguished, for the scene to be changed...


Amidst the tears that freely flowed, someone quoted an exchange between Bruce Wayne and Alfred in Batman Begins:

"Why do we fall, Master Wayne? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again."
"You haven't given up on me yet, have you, Alfred?"
"Never."


On the whole, it's been a week of many lessons, as my recent blog entries will testify. I truly realised that, indeed, in the words of Brian McLaren, God is better than we can ever expect.

And I also learnt quite a bit, indirectly, about boy-girl relationships.

Oh, and I had lots of fun with the camera!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Laman Budaya looks like a beautiful place.Yes its indeed an honour to perform there