Saturday, July 09, 2005

Thank You


CU
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
(OK, labelling this is gonna be tough) Top row, standing L-R: Justina, Amy, Gideon, Wai Yeng, Weng Ken, Timothy; Middle row, squatting L-R: Rebecca, Li-Shia, Wilson, Chien Yih (president '05), Mark (in red); Front row, almost seated L-R: me, Kennard, Jon (president '03) and Wai Hung.


Most teenage Christians are members of their church youth groups, and some go so far as to become leaders within the fellowship. This often leads to further maturity and wisdom as they 'grow in stature with God and with men.'

I, on the other hand, never had that privilege. Or rather, I did not choose it. After a few visits to my church's youth meetings a long time ago when I was thirteen (Form 1, 2000), I decided not to continue and left, never to return.

The only Christian group I was then a part of, was my school's Christian Union; since 1992/1993, it has remained unofficial to this day, operating once as a clandestine organisation, and now as something virtually invisible on the school's radar.

Truly all that I am, I owe to them. The Christian I have become -- nay, the person I am -- traces its roots to the small but faithful group that would meet every Friday for worship, games, some Bible study, sometimes little ad hoc activities, all enveloped in a whole lot of laughter.

People like John Ratnaraj (class of '02, upper right) and John Phang (class of '00, lower right) were instrumental in the formation of my faith in those early years, and constantly encouraged me, treating me sometimes as their equal, sometimes as their better.

Back for a year-and-a-half here in the V.I., the calling to continue serving in the Christian Union remains strong as ever -- this community through which God made me what I am, via such an unorthodox environment as 'spontaneous, casual spirituality.

And, besides d'NA, this is the only other true experience of community I have had so far in my life. Thank you, one and all, for the joy and the grief, the moments of silence and the bursts of sound, for leading me into a deeper understanding of God and this great mystery we call faith.

In the words of Ray Boltz:

Thank you for giving to the Lord
I am a life that was changed
Thank you for giving to the Lord
I am so glad you gave.

1 comment:

silentsoliloquy said...

Everyone of us has a "hall of fame" like in Hebrews... and I think that's one way we can keep humble.. by knowing that if not for others, we wouldn't be the individuals we are today.