Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Great God Experiment


bamboo light
Originally uploaded by mincaye.


Over the weekend, I slept for nearly 24 hours: twelve on Friday night, and eleven on Saturday. Have been very tired lately.

Pastor Stanley's message today was probably just what I needed to hear; it's nothing new, but a repetition of something I seem to keep forgetting.

I'll start off by quoting some verses he mentioned:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." (John 15:4)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed... Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages —- so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." (Mark 1:35,38)


The Christian Dilemma, he believes, is this: to sit at Jesus' feet, or serve in His name?

He said, "If we are to remain steadfast and continue in service, we must abide in Christ. You don't have to be in charge always. Sometimes, you must turn to God, surrender and let him take over."

"When a deadline draws close, abide in Christ!" And this reminded me of something Martin Luther once said; "I have so much to do today, that I must spend three hours in prayer."

I have been so busy lately, that I think the fatigue over the last few days was God's way of saying "STOP!"

It's so hard, especially for those to whom much is given, for from them much is also expected. But I really have to learn to say no to some things at some times, and balance out my priorities.

At this point in time, they are:

1) Getting back into the rhythm of Quiet Time
2) Finishing the Biology projects
3) Preparing for the ISKL SEA Forensics
4) Getting back on track with Maths work
5) Preparing for the KL/PJ SCF Convention
6) Getting back into the swing of practising piano

Thing is, I've been failing at step 1, and so it is no surprise that I've been so exhausted lately, for I have failed to abide in Christ. I need to rediscover solitude.

Max Lucado once pointed out, in the context of 1 Corinthians 13, that we cannot give love if we are not receiving a love that will never run dry, and this morning Pastor Stanley quoted Parker Palmer;

"Burnout is not the result of giving too much; it is the result of trying to give what isn't in me."

Tien was right: it's time for a refuel. I won't be spending three hours tomorrow in prayer, but I'll certainly be meeting God once again. We haven't spoken in quite awhile...

Also, I now realise that what I recently shared with Joan on solitude, is now flying right back at me. Truly, it is something I need to learn, as much as (if not more than) she does.

God is gracious; his yoke is easy and his burden is light.


Dad turns 47 tomorrow. We celebrated his birthday this afternoon, with lunch at the Fisherman's Cove in Starhill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Tis all too easy to slip into everyday busyness without considering the Solitude we need. I need to hit the Pause button too. :)

Anonymous said...

"I won't be spending three hours tomorrow in prayer, but I'll certainly be meeting God once again. We haven't spoken in quite awhile..." i like the way you put this.
those words of Christ never seem to stay in me. i am a rebel, forever runing away from the truth i know so well. at the end of the day, it's i whom i'm cheating. and still, i refuse to go home... i have been superficial with God in many things. yes, running on my own fuel, you remind me. "repent!" i tell myself, but still i'm dragging my feet. who am i to blame for being tired? no one but myself...