Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A V.I. Valentine


valentine's, originally uploaded by mincaye.


This year, Valentine's Day in school was a rather special affair, thanks to the efforts of the Consumer Club and the presence of girls (one of the joys of Form Six).

The Consumer Club, powered by Li-Shia, Debbie, Ai Ling, Ee Mun and Shee Lok, organised a cookie/candy dedication. Very successful, I must say ;-)

In the pictures above, Ching Yeng poses with her haul of six gifts (the most in the class), while Kian Ti and Tsu Wern drop by the Prefects' Room to deliver Phon's.

That's me and Jino eating candy with our arms entwined... quite a nice picture; thanks Kian Ti for taking it! And in the middle, Amy gives Denise a decorated heart.


Something interesting happened on Monday: Jon Siao gave a speech at assembly, apparently by Datin Maimun's request, on tolerance.

It was excellent in every way, from the pseudo-narcissistic intro, "I am a Christian," right until the rousing call at the end for true love, not mere tolerance, in a pluralistic society.

As the speech turned itself over in my mind later in the day, I recalled the words I quoted in my dedication message to Li-Shia -- the words I quoted from U2's 'One':

We're one, but we're not the same.
We get to carry each other, carry each other
One


A beautiful song, which they performed with Mary J. Blige at the Grammy Awards last week.


Before going to bed last night, I suddenly recalled a verse I would've wanted to quote in that message, along with the lyrics and John 11:35. It is taken from John 15, and I quote it in context here (read it during quiet time in the Editors' Room this morning):

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends... I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you..." (John 15:12-16a)


This time around, I have no philosophical thoughts to offer, no deep insights into Valentine's Day and its massive theme of love. Just several verses that have come to my attention, all of which were written by the 'disciple Jesus loved.' I quote them here...

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 11:34-35)

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)


Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh Amy cut her hair???

Anonymous said...

If I didn't read your entry, I wouldn't have noticed that you and Jino had arms entwine. Cos at a glance, I thought you were feeding Jino and he, feeding you.

Anonymous said...

yay for consumer club! teehee! =)