Wednesday, March 09, 2005

On robots and more...


Droids
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
I read something on the Christianity Today website this morning; it was an article about the writer's all-time top 10 favourite robots.

Among the familiar faces were the Terminator, R2-D2, C-3PO, one android from Star Trek and Optimus Prime, who wasn't on the Top 10 but received honourable mention.

One of the qualities all these robots seemed to possess, was that they were imbued with a certain degree of humanity that made them so believable, and indeed, the Star Wars droid exhibit this more than any other.

On the new Star Wars DVD Collectors' Edition, there is a bonus disc that discusses the background of Star Wars and many other things pertaining to its legacy.

Apparently the team struggled to create C-3PO's face; they wanted to create an emotionless face, and allow his words to be the conduit of expression. Many of the original designs were too emotional, but at last they discovered the perfect look that we have today.

Indeed, 3PO's wry and sarcastic humour has become a mainstay of the Star Wars universe, in spite of the virtually blank visage he sports.


On another note, I read some passages in Numbers regarding the appointment of the Levitical duties this morning. The brief commentary/thought had this phrase: we are saved to serve.

As I reflected on what that means, I also wondered if sometimes we are saved through service. Perhaps in serving, we gain a fuller understanding and experience of salvation.

My extremely limited time of voluntary work in SU contributed to my reflection as well, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to work there.

Yesterday was officially my last day, and saw the completion of the project to which I was assigned. But I returned for a few hours this morning to get some CDs done.


SPM results will be out tomorrow. While I am hoping for the best, I am prepared for whatever shall await me. God's plans are too great to be thwarted by a slip of paper I shall receive.

No comments: