Monday, November 21, 2005

NSCF 3: Glimpses of God


nature, originally uploaded by mincaye.


These are various pictures of sunrises at STM, taken over the few days of camp. The purplish one iss pre-sunrise, and the shot at bottom-left is a glimpse of the misty mountain in the distance.

We arrived at the SU office on Saturday in time to witness the approaching storm (miraculously, the storm in Seremban began as soon as the last SU van left STM). Darryl and I spent some time waiting for lightning; we both met with success, mine a photo and his a video.

(Indeed, I like the juxtaposition of the lightning on the left, and the lamp-post on the right; what is the light of man compared to the light of God?)

I compiled this montage with the theme 'God is God' in mind. The song has ministered powerfully to me in the last few days especially. Reading the lyrics against the backdrop of these photos, I believe it is impossible to come to any other conclusion.


God is God

And the pain falls like a curtain
On the things I once called certain
And I have to say the words I fear the most
I just don't know

And the questions without answers
Come and paralyze the dancer
So I stand here on the stage afraid to move
Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must
On this truth that my life has been formed from the dust

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He's painting
God is God and I am man
So I'll never understand it all
For only God is God

And the sky begins to thunder
And I'm filled with awe and wonder
'Til the only burning question that remains
Is who am I

Can I form a single mountain
Take the stars in hand and count them
Can I even take a breath without God giving it to me
He is first and last before all that has been
Beyond all that will pass

So let us worship before the throne
Of the One who is worthy of worship alone



On Friday morning, before our reflection, Runa told us Max Lucado's story, 'You Are Special.' In the Master's eyes, we are special because we are his, not because of our achievements or status.

There are many who will not believe in God for this very reason; for it means that we can no longer take pride in ourselves for our own sake.

Augustine was right about the cry of the human heart: "Our hearts are restless till they find their rest in Thee."

God is God, and we are not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember one of the many deep things that you said, Ben, during one of our reflection time that its sometimes the amount and depth of knowledge of things about God that can keep us from really knowing God for who He is. After spending five good years of my life in the confine of a Bible seminary, everyday treading with trepidation between the fine line of intellectual and experiential faith, I came out with this one conclusion. A faith experience that is not properly integrated, not well balanced, not wholistically experienced will somehow leave one lobsided. But a faith experience that pursues these elements in a consistent manner will, I believe lead us to that wholeness that we are meant to experience from here till we get there. And it is from this kind of spirituality that our testimony ought to flow out whether people will believe or reject what they hear AND see consistent in who we are! May we continue to be 'glimpses' of God to the people around us.