Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Reflections on today

Most days aren't days of 'reflection,' unless something significant happens. But I somehow feel compelled to put some thoughts from today into writing, at least for future reference if nothing else.


When I consider the KL/PJ School Christian Fellowship Convention committee meeting this morning, I realise that the kingdom of heaven isn't very popular amongst most people today. Somehow a lot of comments made were not in the spirit of constructivism, let alone the Spirit of God. And on the whole, it seems that God was present only in the opening and closing prayers. Methods and personal ideas seemed to dominate much of the discussions.

In a way, it disappoints me, for the ones present at the meeting are leaders of their respective school Christian Fellowships. If the leaders cannot see clearly, what of their followers? But I rejoice that hope is not lost, for if God could change me, of all the sinners in this world, he can surely do more with these enterprising young lives.

I don't know if Simon will ever read this (he finds my blog too tedious, heh), but the theme he suggested, 'The Berean Call,' probably reaches deeper than he realises. It is based on Acts 17:11, which goes;

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

This is missing from the Christian community at large. Many are eager and enthusiastic when it comes to organising programmes, events and the like. But how many are interested in Jesus anymore? Bible studies don't attract large crowds. We are becoming shallow people.

I believe the convention should be a follow-up of the NSCF camp, at least in spirit and tone if not in substance. And to do that, we must return to Scripture, the written word, and thence unto the Living Word. It is instructive to note that Simon based his theme on words of Scripture, while many others today would seek out Scripture merely to go with their themes, because "must have Bible verse mah..."


Later in the afternoon, I was having lunch in the same mamak restaurant in Section 14 where Alissa, Tee Ming and I had dinner exactly a week ago. After finishing my indo mee goreng, I turned to J. Oswald Sanders' 'Spiritual Leadership' (compulsory reading for d'NA this year; Annette's class!) when I looked up and beheld a familiar face: Darren!

Darren Cheong was the VI Christian Union's vice-president last year, and the best any president could ever dream of having. He has recently finished his Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) at Sunway College, and intends to do some lay courses at the Bible College of Malaysia (BCM) next year, before heading to the UK in August if his results are good.

It was a blessing to meet up and chat with him, if only for some twenty minutes. One thing dawned upon us as we talked: a new generation is rising, in and out of the Christian community. This was somewhat evident during NSCF, as Nigel pointed out, and Darren and I could see that the same is happening in our school. The present third formers are in midst of this transition, and the first formers are the new shoots.

The difference between this generation cycle and the one that came before it lies simply in the way they will see and do things; indeed, they will redefine much of what the present cycle leaves behind. Just now, as I pondered this while in the bathroom (a wonderful place for thought), it occurred to me that the present cycle must at all costs avoid the greatest mistake it can make: attempt to produce clones.

And that is why the way in which we approach the coming convention is so important. We must not seek to pass on what we are to the rising generation, but who we are: it is our lives and the heart of God's Spirit that we must share with those who will come after us.


While discussing the sketch for the convention, several remarks were made about the "blur Form 1s and Form 2s." Hello, these people are the future! No one should ever look down on the young ones, ever. Five years ago, I stepped into the VI a spiritually unstable/immature person, not rooted in church. The leaders of the Christian Union did not look down on me, but encouraged me so much that I must say they were giants of patience, for I was frequently irritating and over-talkative.

In that way, the CU became my church, and whatever I have become, I owe it all to these people. And Nigel, I would have never shared 'Magnificent Obsession' and 'God Follower' with you if Mikael Lai, then a fifth former, did not share his passion for Steven Curtis Chapman with this musically ignorant first former.

No comments: