Sunday, November 13, 2005

Through flawed leaders

I remember a particularly pivotal experience I had in Form 2; our Christian Union president, Marcus, conducted a series of 'discipleship classes' in addition to the weekly CU meetings.

Once he spoke about the nature of God. He believed that when the Bible speaks of God being slow to anger, it means that God's anger accumulates, that is, once God's anger reaches its limit, it bursts out and nothing can stand in its way. He also asked if God is passionate. His answer was that God could not be passionate, or else he would be blinded by emotions.

In retrospect, I find his perspectives somewhat flawed; indeed, I believe God loves passionately, but with a kind of passion that is above that of mortals. I also do not believe that he who is love, can harbour anger; I do not believe the one who said 'forgive seventy times seven times' can accumulate his rage. Yes, God does get angry (just ask temple traders), but it is not the sort of anger that is allowed to brew within.

But I have not seen Marcus in some time, and perhaps he has grown much. For it occurred to me just now, that he was only a 17-year-old fifth former when he conducted those classes. Looking back, I realise just how foolish, presumptuous and overconfident I was back in the fourth and fifth forms.

Leaders and teachers will always be flawed, for we are all growing together, making mistakes together. I guess this is where humour comes in; without the ability to take everything with a pinch of salt (sugar will cause diabetes, see?) and to laugh along the way, we will become monuments of stone all too set in our ways.

It is like what Oswald Chambers said, "Huge waves provide a great thrill for the surfer who has learned to ride them," (or something to that effect). Without the capacity for laughter and fun along the journey, we will be afraid of the waves--afraid to take the plunge into the world of God.

Anyway, I owe a lot to Marcus. Every CU leader from the day I stepped into school until now, has left an indelible mark in my life, influencing me in various ways, shaping me into the person I am now. Marcus introduced me to Max Lucado, namely his book 'In the Grip of Grace,' which I consider, until today, one of the finest works I've ever read on the subject. And, as I have mentioned before, I learnt much of my writing from Max.

As I prepare and go for the NSCF Leaders' Camp tomorrow, I am reminded of the path my CU has taken, from Alvin through Marcus, Kenneth, Jonathan, me, Jeremiah and now Wilson. We are all imperfect people, struggling apprentices to a Divine Master. But somehow God has used every leader who came before me, and who's to say he won't continue doing that?

If it means anything at all, the journey my CU has taken only testifies to a God who is in the people-shaping business, moulding immortals out of flesh and bone. And that is precisely the path that lies before us: investing in the lives of people and not programmes, souls and not structures--developing those who count themselves among our 'flock.'

Thanks for the reminder, David ;-)

3 comments:

Foreign Stranger said...

Great reflections, Ben. As someone who has been frustrated with leaders, and someone who probably has been a frustrating leader myself, it is comforting (and important!) to know and remember that even flawed leaders can be use by God. Been reading through Judges and reflecting along those lines.

Anonymous said...

i hope u rem this post when ur a dad and ur kids are screaming at u... as a flawed leader to them... i wonder how they'll turn out

jedibaba said...

Flawed leaders. Is there any other kind? :) God's treasures are indeed stored in earthern vessels.