Tuesday, November 22, 2005

NSCF 4: Koinonia


peter, originally uploaded by mincaye.


Centre picture, L-R: Aaron, Lucas, Mark, Anila, Yi Jing, Michele, Shueh-Yi, Caleb, me, and Runa standing behind.


It was during his session on Tuesday (Day 2) that Francis Dunn asked, "Does anyone here know what the Greek word for 'fellowship' is?"

Francis: Let's ask Mark Teen; where is Mark Teen?
Ben (to Mark): Koinonia
Mark (to Francis): Ko-noi-na
Simon (to Ben): You told him!
Francis: Wah, he knows! Don't mess with Mark Teen!

If the believers are to hold all things in common, surely that goes for information as well!

Indeed, I will always remember the word koinonia, as it was the subject of my very first 'sermon' as president of the Christian Union last year.


Since it was a School Christian Fellowship Leaders' Camp, it is only fitting that one of my reflections be on the very subject of fellowship.

Francis used as a model of fellowship, the famous passage at the end of Acts 2, which I here reproduce verbatim from the Message:

They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers. Everyone around was in awe--all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met.

They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved.



I believe the Message very much speaks for itself, and I have little to add apart from my thoughts on something Francis said in his session about the 'ministry of wasting time.'

By all earthly standards, the effort we put into helping our friends (and in the case of leaders, our flock) develop as persons, is really a waste of time. The few tangible fruits, if any, rarely seem worth the toil.

But there is a sense of joy in being with one another, and I felt that to be true of our group, Peter, at camp; the committee had become a form of community, with Christ at its centre.

On the second night, during our group reflection, one of the fluorescent lights in the vending machine area (where we met each night) suddenly came on. Most likely, the light was somewhat weak and took a while to start up--but the symbol was too striking to be ignored.


Without being too philosophical or introspective, I find it virtually impossible to say anything about the nature of fellowship and/or community. It simply has to be experienced.

But the passage in Acts 2 indeed offers a concise, accurate and vivid portrait of what true fellowship is; I know because I have experienced it in my school's Christian Union, and in d'NA. And because, in my weakest moments, it is the immortals from whom these unions are forged, who keep me going.

So here's to koinonia past, present and future; indeed they will all be one and last forever at the consummation of all things, when finally the mortal fellowship that was built upon Christ, finds its eternal, glorious fulfilment in Christ.

With whatever little time I have on this earth, I think I will invest more in 'wasting time.' For though this sowing to the kingdom can often be more painful and pleasant, there is a grace that sustains the great adventure. And I am certain the Spirit is leading.

No comments: