Sunday, January 15, 2006

Bound for the Promised Land

On 23 December last year, Tien Li SMS-ed me;

"Write if you must, weep if you need. But don't let go of the twine in your clutch. He who hasn't abandoned this decadent world won't leave you. It may seem as though you're circling in the Wilderness. Go on... till the Promised Land."

It was meant as an encouragement, and as I thought about it yesterday, the song 'On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand' came to mind. Originally written by Samuel Stennett a couple of centuries or so ago, it was updated by Christopher Miner in 1997 and recently performed by Jars of Clay. Very powerful.


On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan’s fair and happy land
Where my possessions lie

All o'er those wide extended plains
Shines one eternal day
There God, the Son forever reigns
And scatters night away

Refrain:
I am bound, I am bound
I am bound for the promised land
I am bound, I am bound
I am bound for the promised land

No chilling wind nor poisonous breath
Can reach that healthful shore
Where sickness, sorrow, pain and death
Are felt and feared no more

Refrain

When shall I see that happy place
And be forever blessed
When shall I see my Father’s face
And in His bosom rest

Refrain

No comments: