Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thoughts on Mark Haddon's book

Some quotes that left an impression, from Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time:


"And I said 'yes,' because loving someone is helping them when they get into trouble, and looking after them, and telling them the truth, and Father looks after me when I get into trouble, like coming to the police station, and he looks after me by cooking meals for me, and he always tells me the truth, which means that he loves me."

"...But I think it is worst if you don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing which is going to happen."

"And whenever I thought about the future I couldn't see anything clearly in my head and that made a panic start. So Siobhan said I shouldn't thnk about the future. She said, 'Just think about today. Think about things that have happened. Especialy good things that have happened.'"


It's a simple tale about a 15-year-old autistic boy and how he perceives the world. One of those rare gems, its profundity is in its very simplicity.

No comments: