Monday, January 09, 2006

Wide Sargasso Sea: Midway Thoughts


wide sargasso sea
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
This is one of the books I'm reading for English Literature. Yen will be glad to know I finally got down to starting something.

The themes of loneliness and brokenness run through the novel like the waters and seas of the Caribbean, where the story is set, and are expressed so succinctly in the following excerpts:

You can pretend for a long time, but one day it all falls away and you are alone...

"...Then people came to see us again and though I still hated them and was afraid of their cool, teasing eyes, I learned to hide it."
"No," I said.
"Why no?"
"You have never learned to hide it," I said.
"I learned to try," said Antoinette. Not very well, I thought...

I began to wonder how much of all this was true, how much imagined, distorted.



Earlier this evening, I had hoped to watch The Batman on Cartoon Network, but found out that my grandfather no longer subscribed to it.

No comments: