Saturday, May 21, 2005

Thoughts on Beliefnet Quiz Results

I'm currently taking several quizzes on Beliefnet.

1. What kind of Christian are you?

I scored as a literalist. But looking at the others, I think I'm more of a left-leaning traditionalist.

On the whole, I actually found this particular quiz rooted in the rift between conservatives and liberals, and the questions and answers were obviously tailored to fit these categories. There were hardly any answers that lean towards the emergent.

For instance, I take a lot of the Bible literally, like Jesus walking on water and healing the sick. But it's not because I 'blindly believe,' nor is it because such episodes have been 'proven by science/history.' I take the Willard stance, i.e. "If Jesus is God, what's stopping him from doing it?"


2. What is your spiritual type?

I'm a confident believer, having little or no doubt that I've found the right path. My score, however, is on the border of questioning believer as well, and I actually landed the latter when I first took this quiz a day or two ago.

On the whole, I agree with the result of this quiz.


3. What is your faith type?

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)
2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (87%)
3. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (78%)
4. Seventh Day Adventist (78%)
5. Liberal Quakers (73%)
6. Bahá'í Faith (71%)
7. Eastern Orthodox (68%)
8. Roman Catholic (68%)
9. Unitarian Universalism (64%)
10. Reform Judaism (61%)
11. Orthodox Judaism (59%)
12. Sikhism (58%)
13. Islam (53%)
14. Jainism (53%)
15. Hinduism (50%)
16. Mahayana Buddhism (50%)
17. Theravada Buddhism (50%)
18. Neo-Pagan (45%)
19. New Age (44%)
20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (42%)
21. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (39%)
22. Taoism (35%)
23. Secular Humanism (34%)
24. Scientology (33%)
25. Jehovah's Witness (28%)
26. New Thought (28%)
27. Nontheist (21%)

Well, considering the fact that Richard Foster is a Quaker, I certainly cannot complain too much ;-)

Appears I'm mainly Christian, and perhaps it is the moral tenets and theism of the Baha'i Faith, with which I am partly in agreement, that put it so high up on the list.


4. Find your spiritual path

I scored as a serene sightseer.

"There's nothing you like better than a little moonlight meditation. You like to check out a lot of different faiths and aren't scared to ask questions. You'd most likely enjoy religions and spiritualities that stress individual practice."


5. Which Bible hero are you?

Well, it appears I'm Joseph, the son of Jacob ;-)

"Self-assured and proud of it, you're leadership material through and through. Hey, can you help it if other people think you know it all? You do!"


6. How spiritually intelligent are you?

Spiritually Adept: You consistently act with spiritual intelligence, through sensitivity, compassion, and understanding.

And here's one that I wanna try, just for the sake of it:

7. How forgiving are you?

Very merciful. Some people would call you a sucker, and some religions would call you a 'Holy Fool.' You're so merciful you may surprise others.

I sometimes don't know what to think, for I'm often a cold, introverted kind of person. After all, quizzes are merely quantitative, and I can safely say that none of them yielded results with which I am fully satisfied...

Ah, but for the fun of it, why not?

1 comment:

silentsoliloquy said...

Hm, you're right Ben. I tried just one quiz, and saw your point. We should try to take this as an encouragement to get people to consider Emergent thinking til Belief.Net updates its quizzes!