Sunday, February 13, 2005

Clear Waters


Tee Ming
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
In the story His Last Bow, these are Sherlock Holmes' last ever words to Dr John Watson, his faithful friend and companion:

"Good old Watson! You are the one fixed point in a changing age..."

The waters of life that are often muddy, find a rare clarity in Tee Ming. Her very un-radical nature makes her the perfect reference point and counterbalance whenever I go too far.

I am deeply grateful for the friend I have found in her, who remains the traditional and grounded voice that keeps my frequently wild ideas in check.

Words cannot express my appreciation for the hours over the telephone that she's tolerated, while I went on yakking away. Her patience stands in sharp contrast with my impetuousity, and her wisdom with my foolishness.

Like water, each time I'm muddied up, I can rely on her to distil me; to rain down on my parched state, to extract the purity from the mess that I am, to quench my thirst when I am weak and dry.

Like the ocean, each adventure into which I dive with her reveals an ever colourful and mysterious world full of awe and wonder. It is dangerous, yet never wanting in the inspiration.

I am indebted to her for the salvos of rebuke, comment, encouragement and hope. I only hope that I may live a life worthy of the seeds she has planted.

No comments: