Tuesday, February 01, 2005

SU Journey Begins...

Yesterday was my first day volunteering at Scripture Union (SU). I've been assigned by Keat Lim to work on a revision of one of their Resource Books for School Christian Fellowships, with the theme Abide in Christ, the focus of which is the Fruit of the Spirit.

I am thankful for this opportunity to work, to gain experience, in a way to give back to SU. The last year has been simply amazing in every sense of the word, and I owe a lot of it to the people I met and experiences I had at the NSCF Leaders' Camp 2003 and d'Nous Academy 03/04.

Also, I'd like to take this moment to thank a few people who have made my experience in the VI Christian Union so fulfilling and meaningful over the last five years:

Alvin -- You're still the CU president!
John Phang -- No one plays guitar like you do
Huai Zhi -- For introducing me to the serious side
Michael -- For introducing me to Steven Curtis Chapman
Kenneth -- For encouraging me so much and seeing me throughout the years. And for that one rainy afternoon in 2000, when you prayed with me in an empty classroom that would later be mine in Form 5
John Ratnaraj -- There are Yetis still...
Sean -- For praying with me, and the insights, radical and conservative, expressed in violence and in tears
Jon Mah -- For plunging me into inter-school CF activities!
Weng Ken -- For the BK reference and lots of encouragement
Darren -- You're the best Vice President anyone could have; I'm grateful for all the support
Jon Kuek -- The best treasurer I know; it's been many great years we've shared
Leon -- For your exuberance and uninhibited passion, and for bringing out the honest side of me

The VICU will always be the CU as far as I'm concerned; I grew so much because of you. Maybe in heaven, when this world is made new, I will finally get my chance to repay all you've done for me.

I take this opportunity also to wish Jerry and Wilson all the best in the months to come. Go for it!

Runa prayed these words during the brief morning prayer meeting: "Lord, thank you for making us partners in your ministry and kingdom."

Maybe that's what draws me to working in SU, or serving God in general; the fact that somehow God is real, and we really matter. Because of that we are his partners in making this world a better place, in bringing hope to the hopeless, joy to the downcast, and life to the dead.

It is a difficult life, and the more I enter into it, the clearer I hear Jesus' words, that there is no turning back for those who follow him on this adventure. There's no place for individualistic narcissism or self-indulgence here. Neither is it a path of strict ascetism.

I am merely learning, day by day, what it truly means to be free, yet at the same time to be a servant of all.


p.s. It rained today. Thunderstorm. Hasn't been so in awhile. With all that I've written on storms and rain, I ask the same question as I have many times over: Is it a new beginning, yet again? Another significant chapter unfolds...

1 comment:

jedibaba said...

So glad you named the individuals in the VI CF. Reminds me of Paul in Romans 16. Christianity isn't just about ideas. It's about people. And we don't thank the special ones in our lives nearly enough.
Blessings.