Sunday, February 13, 2005

Crippled Behind Bars


Jon
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
It was a joy to meet Jon on Friday at KLCC. This photo was taken in the park, in the playground to be precise.

You have taught me the value of being lame, of being vulnerable. You have taught me what it means to be radical, to be a 'lawbreaker', to let go and be who I am.

While physicists theorise motion, you just jump into the air, understanding motion though you may not be able to comprehend their brand of calculus. (Makes sense; physicists rarely, if ever, win Olympic medals).

You have taught me to appreciate the sunrise, the monkey bars, the swings, the hot showers, the trees, the grass, the stars... you have shown me the wonder of God's creation.

You are a conundrum to everyone who meets you, an enigma that cries out for a solution. But you will not bend to their whims, you will not change to be what society demands of you. You are determined to live life on your own terms.

You are at once playful yet serious. You see in people what most would miss; in a world of superficiality, you offer your own definition of depth and purpose.

I have never been challenged theologically or philosophically by your thoughts, but I have been moved by the simplicity, spontaneity and directness of your ways.

And if you return to a 10-minute moment at NSCF 2003, you will find the point where it all started. Where I became the Simian Disciple; I still am.

No comments: