Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Light and Darkness

Soo Tian wrote these words in an e-mail he sent me before returning to NS after the Aidil Adha break:

...why is it that darkness is almost always a symbol of something bad in the Bible? We know that God created light and it was good. Did God create darkness as well? Or is darkness simply a result of no light? Before any creation, it seems that darkness was already present. "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep" Formlessness being a result of having no form. Emptiness as a result of having nothing fulfilling. I suppose darkness is just a result of having no light. Maybe that's why darkness vs light is as potent as emptiness vs fulfillment. And maybe that's why I find myself singing in the bathroom at camp, "I wanna be in the light... as you are in the light..."

The more I think about it, the more I agree.

1 comment:

emyoon said...

yeah, thre is the idea that darkness is conected to all things bad that's how the term "ungodly hour" came about, it's s'poed to mean the darkest hour of the day from 2am-4am, being the darkest hour, therefore it is not the nature of god since god has always been asociated with light, thus it is called an "ungodly hour" but this term is being widely used for any hour too early or too late...