Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword


Max Lucado
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
If not for Max Lucado, I may have never learnt the truth behind this saying.

My foray into Christian literature began with him sometime circa 2000/2001, when I read his book He Chose the Nails; it was the contents page that caught my attention.

Since then, I have read various writers whose depth of insight and flair of language surpass that of Mr Lucado. But never elsewhere have I seen such simplicity and vividness as in his works.

Max is clearly on the conservative wing, but because he writes with such humility and love for the creation of God, he successfully avoids the greatest pit into which many of his contemporaries have fallen: fundamentalism.

His books are ever as refreshing as when I first read them, and I am the writer I am today because of him. As Beethoven was to Brahms, so is Max Lucado to me.

No comments: