Tuesday, February 08, 2005

No. 17: A Window to the World


Mrs Chang
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
It appears I'm really in the tribute mood lately; and no, this has nothing to do with the fact that the Grammy and Academy Awards are just around the corner.

If I must name the most significant adult outside my immediate family, it would have to be my piano teacher of 13 years, Mrs Chang.

Ever since my kindergarten years, when I was merely five, she led me on a journey through the magically breathtaking world of music.

Halfway through, at about Standard 4 when I was doing my 3rd Grade, I stopped for about two years. Apparently it was related to my reluctance and stubbornness when it came to a particular scale.

But looking back, that break was good, as I began to learn, ever so slowly after that, what music was all about. Now I appreciate it in ways I could never have, had I not stopped. And the extra time has given me a couple of years to mature.

I used to practise for the sake of it, because it was something I had to do. Now, I play for the joy of music, even though I know I am not a good musician. I play for the beauty of heaven's touch that I never fail to hear in great music.

Today, I received my Grade 8 Theory results, and to my great joy, I passed with distinction. Many great years it has been, and I have such fond memories of my amazing theory mates: Su Lin, Sheik Cheng and James. We would always snack over pages of manuscript paper, and chat and tell jokes till kingdom come.

And with a piano teacher, older than Malaysia, with an ever explosive sense of humour, it's been such a pleasure even navigating the more grating and daunting parts of the journey.

To the many years of friendship ahead, and in memory of the many years before, Mrs Chang!


By the way, the title of this entry was the title some of us suggested for Mrs Chang's memoirs, if ever she wrote them.

1 comment:

emyoon said...

hey!!congratulations!!! guess you must know how i feel now huh? it's a great feeling isn't it? anyways, congrats again!