Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Breathing space


outing
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
Monday: photography union outing day. OK, it was actually Grace's (Head of Photography Dept, Editorial Board) treat for those of us who helped out during the photography week.

I wore jeans and sneakers and t-shirt, which I haven't in ages. Usually I'm the shirt/polo-tee plus slacks plus Hush Puppies guy. Made for an interesting photo, L-R: Denise, Jinq Sien, Lik Wen, me, Keeshoore, Li-Shen.

(Mental note: always, always, think twice before letting Lik Wen drive you somewhere. Keeshoore learnt this the hard way.)

Had some discussions to sort this Friday's farewell party out. At present, Denise will be hosting us at her father's Nyonya Restaurant in Sri Hartamas. The last time I had Nyonya was in Malacca, at Miss Nga Johnson's friend's place. Yummy!

Met up with Nigel while the others had dinner; meant to join them later, but our conversation dragged on that I arrived just as they finished, heh. It was well worth it, though. (Nigel had fries and Orange McFizz; I had fries, apple pie and orange juice.)

He summed up our conversation and the matter(s) at hand in the verse "He has set eternity in the hearts of men." There are some things we are to know, and a whole lot that is God's and God's alone.

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote:

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of the picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
So I'll never understand it all
For only God is God


Now the hard part is in letting go of all that I am, and letting God take control -- releasing what I am into the hands of the great I AM.

Nigel is right: this journey is not undertaken alone. He who will never leave nor forsake, is by my side, and is present in many others who walk with me.

Making the journey from the head to the heart is not easy. But thanks, Tee Ming, for showing me this, even before all these recent 'upheavals.' The journey is not undertaken alone.

Bono sings:

And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind...

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
You can only take so much
Walk on...


God still has a sense of humour. After all, he gives us breathing space, falling space, lets us make mistakes.

The Batman reference wins again:

"And why do we fall? So that we may better learn to pick ourselves up."

"Still haven't given up on me?"

"Never."

1 comment:

silentsoliloquy said...

I bought some jeans in the states. Whoopie.. back to the 70s. ;)

But on a more serious note, I like the words of that SCC song. Uncle Andrew the surgeon once told me very simply, "God sees the big picture, we see the small."