Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Of Batman cocktails and bad days


orange juice
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
It happened that while my parents were out last night, Kevin and Sara couldn't see eye to eye, and Sara began throwing some sort of tantrum. My grandmother and I had quite a hard time restraining her.

Eventually, though, I managed to divert her attention by suggesting we make a mocktail for my grandmother. We based our conconction on the 'Batman,' adding honey and pandan syrup to the original recipe of orange juice and grenadine syrup.

I didn't taste it, but my grandmother did say it was nice.

It occured to me that even I still end up in the doldrums now and then, in an isolated world from which I stare daggers at those who dare stare at me.

And it occured to me, that to cheer me up and bring me to my senses, my friends do for me what I did for my sister: divert my attention to something that will require the complete presence of my heart, mind and body.

It's not so much that we forget our grudges and grievances; it's just that, doing stuff together even if there's no particular reason, has a way of putting things back into perspective and awakening a sense of joy and purpose once again.

Speaking of drinks, I shall never forget the symbol in which God incarnate wrapped his mission of redemption, marking its culmination in his life, and setting the stage for its journey to the ends of the earth:

"This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you."

No comments: