Tuesday, January 11, 2005

40

This morning, I read Psalm 40 for devotion, partly because I'd listened to a little of U2's song "40" the other day, and thought of reading the psalm that inspired it.

I found the following verse (40:12) from the Message rather catchy in its rhythm and wordplay:

More guilt in my heart than hair on my head,
so heavy the guilt that my heart gave out.

But what was rather most shocking, was 40:6 of the NIV translation:

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced.

I'm probably taking this a little too far, but considering the turn of events and developments in the past year...

I got to know Sivin,
Sivin introduced me to U2,
I started with All That You Can't Leave Behind,
Got hooked on U2
Recently, I'm exploring their earlier works,
War is one of their best early albums,
A song from War is "40",
It's based on Psalm 40,
Psalm 40 speaks of ear-piercing.

Hmmm... is this some sort of sign that I should, *ahem*... pierce?

(Probably not, but it's rather coincidental and surprising all the same)...

No comments: