Monday, January 10, 2005

On Piercings and More

OK, maybe some of you figured it out, maybe you didn't: I did NOT pierce my ear/ears.

It was quite painstakingly done, that previous post with the photo of a friend's pierced ear, so as to prevent it from being too obvious that I did not pierce; nowhere in that post did I write, "I pierced my ear."

But no, it wasn't a complete joke either. I really have been giving much thought to this, and have asked more than 20 friends about their opinions on ear/body piercings. Here are some of their comments on the idea of piercings:

"Quite normal."
"Girls only. And that only on the ears."
"Nothing wrong."
"You can do it to make a point."
"I don't see a reason to do it."
"Unnecessary."
"Doesn't look cool to me anyway."
"Not in our culture. Religion has less to do with it."
"Ears only."
"Not into it."
"Doesn't glorify God."
"Guys must be rockers to pull it off."
"No point."
"Merely to get attention."
"Disgusting."
"Whohoho... if a guy's doing it, don't really agree."
"If guys do, it's 'coz of inferiority complex."
"Sick and disgusting."
"Not for guys."
"OK with it, but if wanna pierce do like Pierce of ZITS."
"I'm OK with it."

The persons 'surveyed' shall remain anonymous.

Many of their comments and reactions were based on the assumption that piercings are done either out of boredom or to make a fashion statement. But if ever I pierce, I want it to have a significance beyond that. It must be for something extremely meaningful, so much so that I would want to keep a permanent reminder of it.

And so I wait.

No comments: