Saturday, January 29, 2005

In The Light


Flame
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
I read John 1:4-5, 3:19-21, 8:12, and Genesis 1:3 this morning. I found the verses from John 3:19-21 particularly stirring:

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

It was dcTalk's song "In the Light" that inspired me to read a few verses that refer to 'light.' The chorus and bridge are as follows:

I wanna be in the light
As you are in the light
I wanna shine like the stars
In the heavens
Oh Lord be my light
And be my salvation
'Cause all I want is to be in the light

Honesty becomes me
(There's nothing left to lose)
And the secrets that did run me
(In your presence are defused)
Pride has no position
(And riches have no worth)
And the fame that once did cover me
(Has been sentenced to this earth)
Has been sentenced to this earth


I have always found these words challenging and inspiring, and they come back to me now and then, whenever I am not living as one who wants to be in God's light.

To enter the light is to allow my darkest deeds to be exposed. And that is painful. But I want to see the day when I can say boldly, "Honesty becomes me, there's nothing left to lose."

Indeed it happens again and again, as I find myself empty, with nowhere left to turn but into the arms of the one who will fill me only when I step into the light where my emptiness can be seen. And then filled.

Where my death can be apparent, so life can be given anew.

No comments: