Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A New Hobby


Stamps
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
It appears I've acquired a new hobby: stamp collecting.

At the very beginning of this year, I told Mum that the first day cover of the latest collection, Rare Flowers II, would be out on January 11.

She was rather excited and suggested we get them, and over the next few days she talked about how she and her brother (my uncle) used to cycle to the post office to buy first day covers when they were children.

So today, we bought them at the neighbourhood post office. The lady at Customer Service who sold them to us, gave us some pointers on building a collection.

Later, we found ourselves in the Pos Malaysia Headquarters at Bangunan Dayabumi, getting the first day cover stamps cancelled with the special themed stamp.

We browsed the stamp gallery, and there I found the source of Tee Ming's Tongkat Ali stamp, Soo Tian's Domestic Cat stamp, and SU/FES' Whale stamp. All were issued last year.

I now have a first day cover album, which Mum bought for me at the HQ, and my collection has begun, on this the 11th day of the first month of 2005.

The artwork is quite fabulous, and it's certainly exciting to explore a hobby as rooted in history and art as this.

1 comment:

Sivin Kit said...

Psalm 40 is my sermon/message text this week